Request Info from Featured PhD in Nursing Online Programs
There are a number of accredited online universities which offer PhD in nursing degrees. Request free enrollment and tuition information from the PhD in nursing online programs below by using the "Click Here" buttons:
|Walden University - Walden University's accredited PhD program gives nurses the skills they need to become healthcare organization leaders, such as managing community relations, and staff development and training.|
|Liberty University - As the landscape of advanced practice nursing changes, Liberty University is poised to help you take advantage of new opportunities with its Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program. Nurses in this program learn to translate evidence-based research into practice to improve patient safety and quality of care.|
|Capella University - Capella's three accredited online phd in nursing programs are designed to give masters level nurses the credentials and skills they need to take their career to the next level.|
Find PhD in Nursing Programs Near You!
Welcome to Phd in Nursing Online
We strive to maintain one of the most accurate and up-to-date online resources for students interested in getting their PhD in Nursing Online. To that end, on this site you will find information on:
- PhD in Nursing Online Programs
- PhD in Nursing Online Degrees
- PhD in Nursing Online Schools
- Online PhD in Nursing Programs
- Online PhD in Nursing Careers
- Online Nursing PhD Schools
- PhD in Nursing Online Universities
1) What's a PhD in nursing? What types of PhD or doctorate degree programs in nursing are available online? Here's the break down of doctorate level nursing specialties:
- DNSc: Doctor of Nursing Science - Doctors of Nursing Science are trained to do difficult clinical research and to understand complicated health care and nursing concepts.
- DNP: Doctor of Nursing Practice - DNPs undergo several years of clinic training and full time study to have a career in health care administration.
- ND: Doctor of Nursing - NDs learn advanced nursing practices and specialties through clinic hours and study time. ND degree holders are often a chief of staff or higher.
- PhD: Doctor of Nursing Philosophy - These PhD nurses are the ones that teach new, bright-eyed nursing students. PhDs conduct research for scholarly journals and evaluate nursing science concepts.
2) What are the requirements and prerequisites to earn a PhD or doctorate degree in nursing?
Doctorate nursing students must have already earned a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in a similar subject to be considered for most doctorate programs. Students must also already have a nursing license for most programs.
Earning a PhD or doctorate takes a significant amount of time and effort. Be sure you are committed to following through so you will not lose time or money. A total of 60 to 90 credit hours, depending on the school's policy, must be successfully completed to obtain a PhD in Nursing
PhD students often work on research and dissertations that involve a lot of reading and writing.
3) Should you get a PhD or doctorate in nursing online? Here's why or why not.
A doctoral degree in nursing can take up to six years to complete. It's a long commitment and not for quitters.
Students can chose a few different paths to get a specialized education and PhD in nursing. Doctorate degrees in nursing can range from advanced practice nurses in emergency room hospitals to a doctor of nursing science in a research lab.
Always enroll in an accredited online nursing PhD program. Most schools will have accreditation information posted on its Web site, but you can also check the The Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs to see if the school is accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
Can you work independently from your home? If so, you may want to consider a distance learning, or online, degree program. If you need a bit more motivation, a traditional college classroom setting may suit your learning style better.
Fill out a FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, to receive any grants or loan offerings from the federal government and your school. You'll need the previous year's tax records and personal information to fill the form out. Send the application form in as soon as possible. Be sure to check for early-priority dates and deadlines.
Tuition costs slows more than just some people down while considering a degree program. Compare costs between schools and your financial aid offers to see what PhD program will fit in your budget.
Look at each doctoral nursing program and compare the benefits associated with each school. Does one offer career counseling, but is more expensive than another school with no career counseling? You'll have to determine what is more important and evaluate each option.
4) What schools offer online doctorate degrees, or PhD programs, in nursing?
5) What kinds of jobs are available for nurses with a doctorate or PhD? What is the average salary for nurses with a doctorate degree?
Nurses that hold a PhD or doctorate are predicted to be in high demand to fill health administration positions, advanced nursing positions, clinicians and researchers and nursing professors.
6) Resources for PhD Nursing Program Students
- Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-2013 - The U.S. Department of Labor's Web site that explains the basic needs, training, nature or work, and pay scale and more for nurses.
Payscale.com: Doctorate Degree - Payscale.com is a career research Web site that tells doctorate degree holders the average salary pay by area code, companies, by cities and experience level to be expected in their field.
- FAFSA - FAFSA is the online free application for federal student aid. Think Pell grants and low student interest loans.
- U.S. Department of Education - This is the home page of the U.S. Department of Education. It tells of various happenings in the department, tips for college money and can tailor the page to students, parents or administrators.